Junior Digital Designer
Formist require a skilled digital designer to join Formist Studio and be a part of our creative team. Formist is a Sydney-based design studio providing services from large-scale identity and publishing projects, to niche music, arts and film titles.
The role will require problem solving, artwork assembly, front end web design, animation, image manipulation and typography, as well as a strong connection to contemporary visual arts culture. The successful applicant will collaborate with the Formist team to design all formats of visual communications, including corporate identities, campaigns, books, posters and digital media. The successful applicant will be responsible for the design and development of client projects, and will need to be self-motivated and able to work both unsupervised and as part of a team.
This is an important position in an organisation that is renowned for its commitment to excellence.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working to a design brief to fulfil client requirements
- Executing digital design projects from concept through to completion
- Liaising with clients regarding creative, schedules and delivery
- Front end development of web pages and email communications
- Creation of high quality animations and motion advertising
- Working across a broad range of design services including graphic design, responsive web design, wireframing, animation, video editing and coding
- Dependable and motivated
- Good interpersonal skills and workload management
- Proficient across the Adobe Create Suite
- Good level of concept development
- Good level of creative thinking and thoughtful analysis
- Good level of digital image manipulation
- Good level of typography
- High level of artwork assembly
- Good level of web design and UX
- Good level of HTML, CSS, JQuery, etc.
- Good level of digital animation
- A commitment to every job being done as well as it can be
- Good manners
- Extraordinary eye for detail
- Inter-personal skills and a natural aptitude for management and problem solving
- Efficient in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency to multi task and manage competing responsibilities
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude with a proactive approach to all tasks
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions independently
- Ability to work in a team environment and autonomously
- Passionate about design
- Great respect for traditional design and typography
- Actively seeking personal skills development
- The right to live and work in Australia
Formist is a design studio, a publisher and a type foundry. Driven by the belief that design is as much about feeling as it is about clarity, Formist develop refined, tactile and experimental solutions for commissioners and self-initiated projects alike. From large-scale identity and publishing projects, to niche music, arts and film titles, all are executed with the same levels of research, experience, rigour and craft.
We love what we do and approach our work with energy and enthusiasm. Our commitment to impeccable craft is what makes us unique. We push boundaries, we are never satisfied and are always searching for greater outcomes as we don’t believe in the status quo. We operate with integrity and look out for our colleagues.
Formist is an equal opportunity employer committed to equality and diversity.
Please apply in writing and include a PDF file of your CV and portfolio.
Formist is a design studio, a publisher and a type foundry. Driven by the belief that design is as much about feeling as it is about clarity, Formist develop refined, tactile and experimental solutions for commissioners and self-initiated projects alike. Formist passionately execute large-scale identity projects, highly crafted publications, specialist typefaces, carefully tailored communications, as well as artful solutions for niche music, arts and film titles. All our work is executed with equal levels of research, experience, rigour and craft.
Founded by Mark Gowing Formist has over 25 years experience as an industry leader specialising in identity, publication, poster, motion and experimental design for Australia’s most exciting cultural and commercial organisations. These clients include Hopscotch Films, Sydney Opera House, Museum of Contemporary Art Australia, Entertainment One, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney Film Festival, Sydney Dance Company, Sherman Contemporary Art Foundation, Artspace, University of Technology Sydney, University of NSW Press, Uro Publications, Power Institute, Australian War Memorial, OpenAir Cinema, Powerhouse Museum, Newcastle Art Gallery and Kaldor Public Art Projects.
In addition to the Formist Studio model, the organisation also comprises Formist Foundry, a commercial outlet for unique and expressive typefaces; and Formist Editions, a creative source for beautiful publications, limited edition objects, prints and artworks for lovers of art and design.
Founder and director
For 30 years Mark Gowing has been developing his own visual language utilising rigorous and experimental values centred around the rhythms of language and typography. Mark’s work has been exhibited and published around the world. He has received numerous international awards and in 2008 became the first Australian to win the Gold Medal at the Warsaw International Poster Biennale. Mark has been honoured with solo exhibitions at the Warsaw International Poster Biennale in Poland, the Divieto D’Affissione in Torino, Italy and Monash University in Melbourne, Australia. His work is held in numerous institutional collections including the Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum in New York. Mark is a member of the Alliance Graphique Internationale.
Phone +61 (0)2 9318 1262
Suite 2 Level 2
44–54 Botany Road
Alexandria NSW 2015 Australia
Students and applicants please note:
We are a working studio and sometimes find it difficult to reply to every enquiry. While we appreciate your interest and make every effort to get back to you, we can’t always reply to everyone. Thanks for your passionate interest.